Women's Studies Centre
Prof. G. Sandhya Rani
Dept. & Women's Studies Centre
Ph : 0877-2284508 (O)
The Women's Studies Centre was declared open in the year 1984 and the University Grants Commission started releasing funds from the 1988 with a motto of teaching, research, filed outreach and training on women related issues and for the upliftment of women at community and to make the higher education accessible to the girl students. Further, it also aims to promote intellectuality among different sections of the population, activists, NGOs working in the field for women empowerment and train various sections of women groups so as to promote required skills and potentialities among them suitable to the global context on par with their male counterparts.
Objectives of the Women's Studies Centre
- To mainstream the gender perspective in the curriculum of various disciplines and development processes.
- To promote research on socio-economic and political issues of the marginalized women and to involve the activists and policy makers in matters of formulating the relevant strategies.
- To advocate women's issues and outreach programmes for women's empowerment and to provide an access to the socio-economic safety nets.
- To develop partnership and networking with civil society, women's organizations at the grass root level, private sector agencies and Government machinery for bringing visibility to women's issues.
- To liaison with various stakeholders for policy formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation for achieving a trickle down impact on gender issues.
- To conscientise and empower students by enabling them to become catalysts in the society to bring effective social change.
- To train the students in the field of outreach activities and institutional management relating to women and also to provide them with legal handles.
- To bring the higher education closer enough to embrace the burning issues of the society.
- To sensitize women for playing a more committed and meaningful role in the overall development of women and children.
Dimensions of the Women's Studies Centre and Department
- Field Outreach
- Curriculum Development
- Collaborative and Networking
- Twinning and Partnership with other Departments
Institutions and NGOs
- Preparation of Training Modules, Manuals and Teaching Materials
Major Activities of Women's Studies Centre: Organising
- Programmes on Gender Sensitization
- Legal literacy Programmes
- Entrepreneurship Development Programmes
- Extension and Field Outreach Programmes
- Workshops / Orientation Programmes
- Discussion Forums
- Celebration of Important Days
- Awareness Programmes